Hi – my pen name is J.J.Foxe, but you can call me James.
I’ve been writing on and off since I was 12 years old and taught myself to type on an old manual typewriter.
In that time I’ve finished three novels, two screenplays and a scud of short stories. (And yeah, I should have done a whole lot more – I did say ‘on and off.’)
But I’ve never had any fiction published. I got really close in 2003 and had the most pathetic ‘artistic’ tantrum over a rejection letter you can imagine. I’ll blog that story one day….that ‘rejection’ letter could have led to securing an agent, and onto publication. Instead I let it fuel a three year writing block.
Fast forward to 2012 and the publishing landscape has been nuked by Kindle (and all the imitators trailing in Kindle’s wake) – and Self Publishing is the new kid on the block.
And it’s time I joined the Self Publishing party. This blog will chronicle that journey….along with some detours that I hope you’ll find interesting along the way. I’m hoping that as well as providing me with public motivation to keep my writing ass in gear, it will also help nurture folks just like you who are thinking of writing and self publishing in the future.
Some Random Stuff About Me
I once skied the Flying Kilometer (and screamed all the way down).
I hate cheese (but eat pizza).
I’m old enough to have learned to type on a Manual Typewriter…but young enough to type at 100 WPM in flow!
I play a musical instrument (but I can’t tell you which one, then I’d have to kill you).
My two favourite drinks: coffee and Guinness.
My kids get 19th century schooling in the 21st century. (Teaching and learning is something I’m passionate about).
I’m a Godfather to two autistic children.
I live and write in South West London.
Like all writers I love to read….some of my favourite books include (in no particular order):
- His Dark Materials (Philip Pullman)
- the Lincoln Rhyme series (Jeffrey Deaver)
- Weaveworld and Imajica (Clive Barker)
- The War Of Art (Steven Pressfield),
- Control, Magic and Edged Weapons (aka Heat) by William Goldman
- anything by John Sandford (Lucas Davenport rocks!)
- Serenity (and yep I know that’s a film, but my blog my rules!)
- The Haunting Of Alaizabel Cray (Chris Wooding – his Ketty Jay books are also really good too – especially if you like Serenity…and yep, I still know that’s a movie)
- The Harry Potter series (I’ll blog about this soon….you’ll see why)
- Ender’s Game (book, not series) and the Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card
- The Jack Reacher series (Lee Child)
- Something Wicked This Way Comes (Ray Bradbury – with the best train whistle ever described)
- Anything by Scott Westerfeld (especially The Risen Empire books – looking forward to diving into Leviathan)
- Sabriel and sequels (Garth Nix)
To sum up – thrillers, fantasy, SF, all leavened with a touch of horror. And definitely no ‘literary’ fiction. If you’re interested in that kind of fiction don’t tell me or I’ll block your IP address. Seriously, this blog is not for you and it will be better off for both of us if you forgot you ever came here.
If you want to drop me an email, use the form on the Contact Page. I will try and get back to every email….but I’m a busy guy. So it may take a while….